Welcome back to my ‘Things I don’t love’ series where we discuss products that just didn’t work for me. Today I am lumping two very similar products from two different brands together as I feel that they look and act in the same way even though the colours I will be reviewing here are different. We are going to be discussing the Australis ‘Metallix Cream Eyeshadows’ and the Makeup Revolution ‘Awesome Metals Eyeshadow’.
Just from looking at the packaging of these products you can see that they are very similar. I believe that both are designed to be dupes for the Stila ‘Magnificent Metals Foil Finish Eyeshadows’ and I suppose if you are looking for a more budget-friendly and cruelty-free alternative to that product these might be just what you are looking for.
The texture of these products is part of the problem for me. They are very thick and very sticky. Like the Stila version, Makeup Revolution does provide a primer and mixing tray with their eyeshadow to allow you to thin out the consistency of the cream before applying, but I did not find that this helped overly. Mainly, I find these extremely difficult to apply. Let me set the scene for you – imagine this:
- I apply a swipe of the eyeshadow across my eyelid with my finger.
- It goes on so thickly that it immediately cracks/creases when my eyelid moves.
- I panic.
- I try to thin it out with my finger to stop the foiling from cracking further.
- All I achieve is spreading the glittery shadow to new sections of my eye while completely lifting off sections I had originally applied – it is now creasing and patchy!
- I panic again, and go back in to try and even out the texture but this just starts a glitter fallout like I have never experienced.
- I try to brush the fallout away from under my eye but just manage to smear it creating further mess.
- In a last desperate bid to save the situation I go in with a brush in an attempt to brush off the fallout, thus spreading glitter everywhere.
- The end results? I look like the tin-man from the Wizard of Oz after a Saturday night bender!! 🙂
I literally had to remove everything, wash my face and start again. It was a total disaster.
And perhaps those of you out there who love this kind of thing are cringing at my incompetence but I just found that both brand’s versions of this foil metallic shadow went on SUPER thickly and looked totally bazar but when I tried to thin them out (I won’t say ‘blend them out’ because that is simply not possible) the product just starts to lift off all together when you go back to correct or even it out.
Not one to give up I have tried patting them gently over other powder eyeshadows like a glitter but found them to again, disturb the shadow underneath and/or end up looking super patchy. I have tried them with and without the primer. And as you can see from this review, I even tried the product from two different brands just to see if it was a brand specific issue. Its not.
Swatches: Australis – Guns and rose petals; pearl jammin. MUR – rose gold.
I wanted to love these so badly. I feel like every other review I have read is really positive for both the Australis and Makeup Revolution versions. This does make me think that my issues are user error – but seriously, how hard can it be?? I have reached the conclusion that regardless of how pretty these look in the pan, they just don’t work for me. Apparently I just don’t like ‘foiled’ shadows 😦
If you would like to try a cream shadow that is super metallic while also being SUPER user friendly, I can’t recommend the metallic Super Shock Shadows from ColourPop enough!
Have a fantastic day!